We ship all our items from HolgaDirect Headquarters here in Hong Kong. We use the very reliable HongKong Postal service for all shipments. They do a great job for a great price. This all helps to keep OUR costs (which mean YOUR costs) low. We pay an extra supplement for insurance and a ‘registered’ service. At the moment we use a standard shipping charge for all destinations. This may change depending on customer trends. Normally packages take between 7-14 days for delivery.
2. Taxes and Duties
Tax is a complex issue, because it depends what country you are receiving the goods into. Some countries are easy to import into, and have few restrictions and no taxes. Other countries are ultra restrictive and have high taxes. Here are some general points of advice:
a. No Sales Tax Charged By HolgaDirect:
- There are NO SALES TAXES OR HIDDEN CHARGES to pay on the HolgaDirect website - However, you may need to pay some taxes on your local side when you receive the goods. Please read below for more information.
- When you buy from HolgaDirect, and the products are delivered to your country, this is by definition importing. This means the process to receive the goods will usually be different to simply buying mail-order products from shops inside your country.
b. Import Duty and Sales Tax Charged By Your Country:
- Some countries charge tax on certain imported products, at certain quantity/value levels. Some countries do not. You are responsible for finding out the situation in your own country.
- Many countries charge two kinds of tax when you import anything from overseas. These are (1) Sales Tax (VAT); (2) Import Duty. Usually these taxes are not very high, and the tax is calculated according to the value of the goods (+ shipping sometimes). On the other hand, many countries do not charge any tax on certain types of goods, or on small shipments.
c. Declared Value: Packet Value Affects Tax
- The term "ad valorem" in import taxes means that the tax you have to pay is calculated as a percentage of the total value of the goods (+sometimes the shipping too). Obviously there would be an advantage to declare the value of the goods lower in such cases. HolgaDirect will not falsely declare the value of a package.
d. Declared Contents: Packet Contents Affect Tax
- The declared contents of a package must be true and accurate for customs purposes. HolgaDirect will not falsely label a package with other than its true contents.
e. How to Pay Import Taxes
- If you have to pay any tax on the goods you receive, the most common way is that the taxes are first paid at customs by the courier (e.g. DHL, FedEx, and UPS) and then you simply pay back the courier using cash or your credit card, when they deliver the goods to your door.
f. Why You Need To Do Your Own Research
- Import and tax rules are (a) different in every country; (b) changing often; (c) highly dependent on the shipment size and contents; and (d) not consistently applied by your country's different ports and customs houses. Therefore HolgaDirect cannot offer you specific advice about how much tax you will have to pay, or any guarantees related to this issue.
g. Tax Liability
- The importer is solely responsible for all import taxes, sales taxes, and any other customs-related charges.
- HolgaDirect accepts no liability for any such charges. Importing taxes and charges cannot and will not be quoted/predicted, and they cannot be reimbursed to you under any circumstances.
- If an importer refuses to pay taxes or otherwise refuses to comply with requirements of the importing or customs clearance process, the goods will usually not be delivered successfully. In such cases the goods could be seized by customs, destroyed, or returned back to Hong Kong. In any such cases you, the importer, bear sole responsibility provided no error has been made by HolgaDirect in following your order requirements.
h. Getting More Information About Taxes
- Please undertake your own research about import regulations and taxes in your country. We can offer informal pre-sales advice, but we will not offer any formal advice or guarantees due to this issue being beyond our control.
3. Warranties and Returns/Refunds
HolgaDirect for now is a small company. Until we can play with the big boys we aren’t able to take returns and make refunds without questions. Please be aware that most if not all the products we sell on the website are cheaply made (and sold) products. These items are obviously not subject to the intensive quality control methods that you will find in the factories of the large modern Camera manufacturers. So there will be small deviations in colours, sizes, speeds, weights, etc. However the products all should function as designed. If they do not please contact us in order to work out the problem and an appropriate solution.
If you just aren't happy with your product(s) after you have opened them, contact us and we may work something out with you to purchase it back at a "used" price and give you some store credit. Please do your homework and even ask us questions in order to avoid buying something you may later want to return. Technical manufacturing problems are something completely different to misunderstanding what you are buying.
Packages/Deliveries can sometimes take longer than expected to arrive. They are not normally lost and we pay an insurance supplement to our shippers to prevent this from happening. Even though we know you may be desperate to receive your delivery then please wait up to 30 days just in case there is some hold up in the postal service. This should not happen as a matter of course and should be a rare occurrence. Please contact us and we will do our best to rectify the situation if you still are waiting for your products after 30 days.